We’re big fans of stainless steel products, including our lemon squeezer. When it came time to finding a steamer for making our own baby food we decided to invest in a stainless steel product as well.
Unfortunately, the availability and affordability comes with a cost as the product doesn’t feel as sturdy as the Tramontina product line. So, while we’re not going to be recommending the product to serious chef’s, it does work as a frugal solution, especially since we’re trying to use this for making our own baby food.
With the steamer, it’s a breeze to make baby food and in our case we’ve followed the steps below to make everything from sweet potatoes to apple sauce:
- Wash and dice the vegetables or fruit to be steamed
- Fill a pot with enough water so that the bottom of the steamer basket touches the water
- Place the diced vegetables or fruit into the steamer basket and place it in the pot
- Cover the pot with a lid and place the pot on the stove and turn it to medium heat
- Steam the vegetables or fruit until you can pierce them with a fork or mash them with a fork
- Remove the steam basket when the vegetables or fruit are finished. We save the water to use during the puree process.
- Puree the vegetables or fruit